Pululahua with its 4 km.wide and 300m. deep, it is considered as one of the largest, inhabited and still active volcanic craters in the world, located in the western range of the Andes just at 5 km. from Mitad del Mundo Monument. The amazing thing is that at the base live 100 families dedicated to farming. The best time to visit this magical place is in the morning because after midday the fog completely cover the crater. The tour reaches to Ventanillas view point at 2800m. and you can also take your time to visit the work shops.
Rumicucho is an ancient site 800 A.D, used as an astronomical and ceremonial temple, during the Inca period was used as a military fortress.
On solstice, just once in the year, june 21st, at 5:30 p.m. sun sets between the natural pyramids La Marca and the last ray of the sun illuminates the cylinder located on one of the platforms of this enigmatic place.
Still having rituals with the presence of the chaman, fire, dances and music.
On weekends the tour is more interesting and traditional because you travel in a 1942 Classic Dodge ” Chiva “.
“Ranchera” is a typical form of transportation used in rural areas as the coast and the amazon but in tourism are well known as “Chivas”
- To reach to the top of the mountain is necessary to take a 4×4 wheel drive or strong vehicles offered by Calimatours, because at the momment the road has no pavement, it is narrow and deep.
- You are invited to live a unique an different experience with Calimatours, pioneers in the Mitad del Mundo since 1991.
Wait no more !!! and reserve our tour from Quito for only USD28.
(No minimum of people required)
Catequilla (Kati-Killa) is a sacred mountain located in the valley of Mitad del Mundo. At the top at 2640 m. exist archeological evidences, two circular platforms made out of stone 800 A.D. , where is located the True Equator, 00°00’00.0’’…! according to measurements taken with Garmin GPS. It is amazing to experience how you are able to cross from northern to southern hemisphere just in one step. At the top of the mountain, you have an amazing 360° view of the Andes.
Traditional rituals having on march 20th and September 22 on equinoxes during the night.
PULULAHUA VOLCANIC CRATER
4 km. wide and 300m. deep, Pululahua is considered as one of the largest inhabited and still active volcanic craters in the world, 100 families are living inside farming. Fantastic view! We recommend doing the tour in the morning because after 2p.m. clouds cover the crater.
CIUDAD MITAD DEL MUNDO
It is a touristic complex where you can find the Monument to the Equator. The monument itself is a 9-story museum where you will appreciate the culture of the four ecuadorian regions in one place. Around this monument a small colonial-type town was built. Inside the complex you will be able to visit a sort of museums and other services such as restaurants and souvenir shops.
- TOUR FROM QUITO INCLUDES:
- Private transportation from Quito leaving at 10:00 a.m. from Mariscal Foch E8-75 and 6 de Diciembre avenue and return. (We will pick you up if your hotel is located in the Mariscal neighborhood)
- Experienced guide
- Visit to Catequilla sacred mountain, Pululahua volcanic crater, Ciudad Mitad del Mundo Complex.
- Entrance fee to Ciudad Mitad del Mundo
- Visit to the Shaman (wednesday to sunday)
- 10% discount in Calima Restaurant
- Duration: 8 hours approx.
- What to bring:
- Hiking shoes
- Hat / raincoat
- NO MINIMUM OF PEOPLE REQUIRED
TOURS FROM MITAD DEL MUNDO
Departures every day, every hour from 10am.
Duration: 1h15 each place.
OPTIONS & PRICE PER PERSON
- Visit to Catequilla sacred mountain, the ancient and true one. PRICE: $10
- Pululahua volcanic crater. PRICE: $6
- Rumicucho Ruins. PRICE: $8
- Ciudad Mitad del Mundo Complex. PRICE: $5
- Spanish/English speaking experienced guide
- Full specialized information
- 10% discount in Calima Restaurant
Make your reservation at firstname.lastname@example.org Cell phone 0999238561 / whatsapp +593 999238561
CALIMATOURS is located at the entrance of Mitad del Mundo Complex, next to the box office.
Calimatours is the pioneer tour operator that offer the visit to Catequilla sacred mountain the True Equator